The root of any flea infestation usually comes from pets. While your dog or cat play and run around outside and play with other animals, fleas can easily latch onto them. It’s important that if you discover fleas on your pet, to take care of it as soon as possible.
Here are some helpful tips to avoid fleas from growing in your home;
- Vacuuming daily is essential because it will help capture any eggs, adults, larvae and pupae before they start to grow. Also remember to empty the bag every time your vacuum.
- Wash all clothing, bedding, blankets, towels and pet bedding weekly if you suspect fleas in your home.
- Make sure you give your dog or cat a bath regularly. Use safe flea shampoo on your pets and you should also double check with your veterinarian in taking !
- Before you let your pets run outside in the yard, make sure the area around your home is well maintained. Make sure there isn’ heavily shaded areas around your yard, fleas don’t really like areas with a lot of foot traffic or sunlight.
If you discover fleas in your home, your best solution is to contact a professional exterminator! Absolut Pest Control can take care of your flea problem, contact us at 978.388.4589 or fill out our contact form online!
Summer is the perfect time to do all those fun outdoor activities you have been anxiously waiting to do since the winter. Before you hit the outdoors to either to go hiking or do some gardening, you will want to make sure you are well protected from ticks. Ticks are small arachnids that require blood meals to complete their complex life cycles. Ticks can very dangerous because they transmit diseases to several hosts; diseases including Lyme disease, Heartland virus, and Q Fever. It’s important to take the right steps in protecting yourself from any kind of tick.
Ways To Prevent Ticks:
- Purchas the right bug repellent that is safe to use and will be effective for several hours while you’re outdoors.
- After you return you from the outdoors, make sure to inspect your entire body carefully for any ticks that may be stuck on your skin. For ticks to transmit Lyme Disease, they have to be attached to the skin for at least 36 hours to transmit Lyme disease.
- If you go hiking or spending time around a wooded area, make sure you wear long sleeves and long pants, socks, and boots (no open toe shoes).
- Ticks like tall grass, so try to keep your lawn short and well-maintained. Also, try to stay in sunny areas when outdoors, that will reduce tick exposure.
- Ticks can easily make connect with your pets while they are outside, make sure you inspect pets once they come back inside and remove any ticks you find with a pair of tweezers.
A termite is a small, pale soft-bodied insect that lives in large colonies with several different castes. Termites are known to feed on wood and can be very destructive to trees and timber. The main type of termites are subterranean, and they live in the ground. The subterranean termites invade wood or any types of material that have cellulose. You don’t want these type of insects invading your home and destroying it, it’s important to know how to properly protect your home.
Tips on How to Prevent Termite Access:
- Secure gaps around water and gas lines where termites could enter your home
- Eliminate excess moisture in your home in areas like the basement and crawlspace areas
- If you have firewood or spare construction materials, keep it raised and off the ground and away from your house
- Keep mulch away from the foundation of your home, mulch is a food and water source for termites.
- Another food source for a termite colony is dead wood, try to get rid of dead trees or stumps around your home
Call a pest control professional if you feel there is a termite problem invading your home. Contact Absolut Pest Control for termite and insect control at 978.388.4589 or fill out our contact form online!
Pest Control in the Summer
Summer is a great time of year to spend with your family and friends outdoors, however, the summer is also a peak time for the annual bug and pest emerge. Throughout the United States, the main pest and bugs that appear more during the summer months are ants, mosquitoes, bees, wasps, and bats.
- Ants can enter homes through the small cracks and they always go for any kind of sweet, greasy or protein-based food. You will want to make sure that all your floors and counters are always clean and remember to put away all food!
- With viruses like West Nile and Zika being carried by mosquitoes, it’s important to always be prepared with EPA-approved insect repellent. Also since the main biting for mosquitoes is dawn and dusk, try to have your arms and legs fully covered when outside!
- If stung by a bee or wasp, most people can have some sort of severe reaction to them. Make sure to constantly track and monitor any nests that could be growing around your home. If you do encounter a bee or wasp, make sure you act calmly around them because it can be dangerous if you disturb them.
- Bats become more and more common over the summer, especially in August. If you found a bat in your home you should never bats should never be handled them at any time. Your best option is to contact a professional to help take care of the problem.
If you have any problem with any of these types of pest over the summer, contact Absolut Pest Control at 978.388.4589 or fill out our contact form!
Identifying Carpenter Ants
Carpenter ants are among the largest types of ants living in the United States. These type of ants are usually 3.4 to 13mm and black, sometimes they have reddish-brown or yellow color to them. Carpenter ants can cause serious damage to your home, so it’s important you are able to identify them early on.
Facts About Carpenter Ants
The place that these ants call home is usually in moist, decaying conditions like hollow, rotted wood.A fact about carpenter ants is that they don’t eat wood, unlike other termites. Instead of eating the wood in your home, the carpenter ants simply remove the wood to make space for their nests. The reason they create these large galleries is to continue to grow and expand their colony.
Carpenter ants like to eat food that is sweet and has protein, like leftover food that you may have forgotten to clean up after your dinner. They also have been known to eat other insects so that could also add to the insect problem in your home. If you notice any wood dust and debris, it could mean that their nest is nearby.
There has been a rise in a recent virus that spreads to people mainly after they have been bitten by an infected Aedes species mosquito. The Zika Virus is in the same family of other viruses like West Nile, Dengue, Yellow Fever, and Japanese Encephalitis. This virus has been reported in Africa, the United States, Asia and the Pacific Islands.
As the temperatures begin to drop, the cold weather begins to force unwanted rodents indoors. The problems that many people in the Northeast tend to run into are the smaller, cuter mice that can sneak through the tiniest of cracks and intrude your home. The last thing you want is a tiny scurrying mouse running across your dining room floor as your family sits down for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
One reason mice pare a tough pest control problem is because of their small size. All they need is a quarter-inch gap to gain entry into your home and require only miniscule amounts of food and water to survive. As a result, mouse infestations are much more common and difficult to control than rat infestations. Mice infestations are also every bit as hazardous to health and property. Mice eat and contaminate human and pet foods, preferring grains but apparently willing to nibble on almost anything, including your valuables or memory-filled photo albums.
Mark sure that your house is secure before the temperatures begin to plummet and force the mine inside. Call Absolut Pest Control today to come take a look at your home or business and find the areas in your house that are vulnerable.
Many towns throughout Massachusetts are under warming for traces of West Nile Virus being found in Mosquitoes. First it was only found in bird-biting mosquitoes but new news is out that West Nile, or EEE, is now being found in mammal-biting mosquitoes, posing a significant threat to humans. Many communities in Massachusetts are being sprayed to try to kill off the mosquitoes but you should still take measures to protect yourself by bombing your lawn and always carrying bug spray with you incase mosquitoes get bad. Make sure to look up the symptoms for West Nile and be as educated as possible while trying to keep you and your family safe!
With Spring fast approaching, that means millions of bugs will be coming out of hibernation or will be born. This means that they will be looking for a nice warm place to setlle. Don’t let this be your home! Protect your home against insects before they appear. Call Absolut Pest Control to make sure your house is properly sealed off and ready for any of these emerging insects. 978-388-4589
Welcome to Absolut Pest Control of Boston, MA! We have proudly served Eastern Massachusetts for over 20 years. We are here to make sure you are living comfortably and protected in your home. Our services include:
Carpenter Ant Control
Commercial Pest Control
Insect Control In Boston
Please call us today for a free estimate or to learn more about our busness!