Ants are one of the most common household pests in Massachusetts and the United States as a whole. While common black ants do not pose a major threat to you or your home, as they rarely cause damage or transmit diseases, they’re still a nuisance. Carpenter ants, however, can cause serious damage to your home, as they like to burrow into wood to create their nests, which can result in damage to the structure of your home. Regardless of the type of ant you’re dealing with, these little six-legged insects shouldn’t be bothering you this summer! In this article, we’ll offer some tips on how you can prevent ant infestations during the hot summer months here in Massachusetts!
Most Common Types Of Ants In New England
While New England is home to many ant species, there are three types of ants that most commonly cause problems for home and business owners in Massachusetts:
- Carpenter Ants: These ants are one of the largest species in North America, usually measuring between 1/4 and 1/2 inch in length. While these ants do not actually eat wood, they do like to create their nests in damp or rotting wood, potentially causing damage to your home.
- Odorous House Ants: These ants get their name from the strong odor they emit when killed. Odorous house ants are quite small when compared to other ant species, as they are usually only about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch in length. These ants are attracted to sweet foods and are often found in kitchens and other places where food is stored.
- Pavement Ants: These ants get their name from the fact that they are often seen on roads, sidewalks, and driveways. Pavement ants are another small ant species with similar size to odorous house ants. These ants are also attracted to sweet foods and when they get into homes, they are often found searching for food in kitchens and pantries.
Ant Infestation Prevention Tips
The best way to prevent ant infestations this summer is to hire an experienced pest control company who can find and fix vulnerabilities in your home or business, preventing ants from ever entering your premises. There are also some DIY steps you can take to help prevent ant infestations this summer:
- Find and seal off any cracks and holes around your home that ants may be using as an entry point.
- Repair any damaged screens on your doors and windows.
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Frequently sweep and vacuum to pick up any food crumbs that may end up on your floors, countertops, and tables.
- Fix any plumbing issues and water leaks that may be attracting ants.
- Avoid leaving dirty dishes in the sink.
- Don’t leave pet food out for long periods of time.
- Landscape your yard to avoid overgrowth.
Contact Absolut Pest Control For Ant Control Solutions In MA & NH!
If your home or business in Massachusetts or New Hampshire is experiencing an ant problem, Absolut Pest Control is here to help! Our team has years of experience dealing with ants and various other insects, so you can count on us to solve your problem and prevent these pests from coming back! Give us a call today at (978) 388-4589 or fill out the contact form on our website, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible!