Fruit flies are common household pests that are attracted to fruit and other sweet substances. These miniature flies are typically around 1/8th of an inch long with black or tan bodies and red eyes. Because of their appearance, fruit flies are sometimes confused for gnats. Fruit flies like to lay their eggs on rotting fruit or other organic materials, where the eggs will hatch about a day later and the larvae will continue to feed on the fruit or other fermenting material. While fruit flies do not sting or bite, they can be dangerous because they can spread bacteria and foodborne illnesses throughout your home or business. In this article, we’ll give you some tips on how you can prevent and exterminate these miniature pests! If you are a Massachusetts resident that is having trouble dealing with fruit flies or other insects, Absolut Pest Control is here to help! Contact us today for a free estimate on our pest control services!
Fruit Fly Prevention Tips
The best way to deal with a fruit fly problem is to never get them in the first place! You can prevent fruit flies in your home or business with just a few simple steps:
- Eliminate Sources Of Attraction: Fruit flies are primarily attracted to ripe or rotting produce. Be sure that any ripe produce you have is either stored or discarded properly! Store your fruits & vegetables in air tight containers in the refrigerator, or if you’re throwing something away, make sure it goes into a sealed container with a trash can liner!
- Clean Thoroughly: The next way to prevent fruit flies is to clean up thoroughly after any food or drink spill. Not only are fruit flies attracted to produce, but they also feed on soda, juice, beer, wine, and garbage. Anytime a liquid spills on your floor or countertop, be sure to clean it up with kitchen spray to ensure that nothing is left for insects to feed on!
- Properly Deal With Cracked Or Damaged Fruits: If you have any cracked or damaged fruit, you should cut off the wounded portion because this is where fruit fly larvae may be present.
Fruit Fly Extermination Tips
Fruit flies breed extremely quickly, so it’s important to eradicate the infestation in your home or business before it can get out of hand. While the best way to handle a fruit fly problem is to hire a pest control specialist, there are a few home “remedies” that you can try to exterminate the fruit flies on your own:
- Throw away all fruit and other ripe or rotting substances
- Clean rooms where the fruit flies are present thoroughly
- Create a trap using a jar & paper funnel, with apple cider vinegar as bait
- Use an aerosol insecticide
Contact Absolut Pest Control!
If you have any questions about fruit flies or any other insects, contact our team at Absolut Pest Control today! We provide a wide variety of affordable pest control services for insects and many other pests in Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire! Give us a call at (978) 388-4589 or fill out the contact form on our website, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible!