A termite is a small, pale soft-bodied insect that lives in large colonies with several different castes. Termites are known to feed on wood and can be very destructive to trees and timber. The main type of termites are subterranean, and they live in the ground. The subterranean termites invade wood or any types of material that have cellulose. You don’t want these type of insects invading your home and destroying it, it’s important to know how to properly protect your home.
Tips on How to Prevent Termite Access:
- Secure gaps around water and gas lines where termites could enter your home
- Eliminate excess moisture in your home in areas like the basement and crawlspace areas
- If you have firewood or spare construction materials, keep it raised and off the ground and away from your house
- Keep mulch away from the foundation of your home, mulch is a food and water source for termites.
- Another food source for a termite colony is dead wood, try to get rid of dead trees or stumps around your home
Call a pest control professional if you feel there is a termite problem invading your home. Contact Absolut Pest Control for termite and insect control at 978.388.4589 or fill out our contact form online!
Identifying Carpenter Ants
Carpenter ants are among the largest types of ants living in the United States. These type of ants are usually 3.4 to 13mm and black, sometimes they have reddish-brown or yellow color to them. Carpenter ants can cause serious damage to your home, so it’s important you are able to identify them early on.
Facts About Carpenter Ants
The place that these ants call home is usually in moist, decaying conditions like hollow, rotted wood.A fact about carpenter ants is that they don’t eat wood, unlike other termites. Instead of eating the wood in your home, the carpenter ants simply remove the wood to make space for their nests. The reason they create these large galleries is to continue to grow and expand their colony.
Carpenter ants like to eat food that is sweet and has protein, like leftover food that you may have forgotten to clean up after your dinner. They also have been known to eat other insects so that could also add to the insect problem in your home. If you notice any wood dust and debris, it could mean that their nest is nearby.